DIY generally means 1 of 5 things
- You did it! (and it doesn’t work)
- You didn’t finish it because it got “complicated”
- You did it! (and no is saying, “Wow Joe, that’s an awesome website you did there!”)
- You’ll get back to it soon, it’s only been three months! (in the meantime, its dead in the water)
- You admit it, your admin or IT guy are really not web designers
There are times when DIY projects make sense. There are also times when it’s best to turn a project over to a professional. When it comes to creating a website for your business, it’s always best to get a professional. Why is that?
There are several reasons why website design for companies is really not a DIY endeavor.
You Deserve a Customizable Website
Your business has unique features so it stands to reason, it’s official website also will. DIY websites, while fine for someone who wants to show off a hobby, lack the customization features needed to create a truly effective, SEO optimized, lead generating, business website.
A skilled web designer will look at your business, determine its needs, and create a customized website that has all the features you need, and none of the ones you don’t. They will also set things up in a way that the website enhances your brand image and subtly directs the flow of traffic to the pages you most want to be visited. (more SEO magic)
Questions you should expect to be asked when you approach a web designer about creating a site for your business include:
· What purpose do you want the website to serve?
· Should the website help generate online sales?
· What kind of content will be featured on the website?
· What’s your business’s brand image
· How often do you intend on updating the content?
· Organic SEO Assistance
You can’t afford to ignore the importance of SEO and how web crawlers rank your organization’s website. If you’re not well ranked, members of your target market won’t find you. If you have crawl errors, the search engines will just bounce and go without staying 2 seconds, which is not at all what you want.
The DIY website builders have always fallen short when it comes to helping businesses boost their search engine ranking. Why is that?
· The URL structure and categorization is both generic and poorly done
· Failing to identify (and include) commonly searched keywords.
· Problems with SSL certification
· Failure to unblock search engines from crawling your site (yes, this really happens)
Once you have an SEO plan in place, you will generate valuable analytics. What business can properly run without goals and metrics? In order to measure progress, someone will need to set up meaningful reports. Examples of what metrics can tell you include:
· Identifying where and when sales declines take place
· Misalignment issues between sales and revenue targets
· Client attrition
· Traffic attribution – where are your customers coming from?
Simple Website builders often find that the programs simply aren’t designed in such a way to allow the back-end integrated programs. While there’s a chance that eventually the creators of the website builders will come up with a solution that allows users to add CRM tools, by the time that happens, your business will have already suffered.
Business owners who decide to use DIY website builders to create a company website generally find that they’ve only created a short-term solution. Not only does the website they create not have many key aspects needed to function properly, but it’s difficult to update and doesn’t stand out.
If you’re not at a point where you can feel you can justify hiring a professional to build and maintain your business website, but don’t want to settle for an inferior DIY website builder, you should consider WordPress. Unlike other website builders, WordPress has designed a program that is “open source”, meaning it has open code that can be modified and allows business owners a great deal of flexibility so they’re able to create a website that reflects their professional brand image. WordPress enjoys global recognition, which means there is a large pool of qualified programmers who can help you get a website redesign done with cost savings. “Custom” code or HTML will always require an experienced programmer to modify your site – usually at a custom price.
Your website is the heart of your business. Designed correctly by an experienced SEO professional will create opportunities for your business to be found. An attractive, well-designed website will create a dynamic user experience that will keep prospects at your door, and feel invited to stay a while.
If you’re ready to do a new website or a redesign, we can help you ask the right questions during the design process. We’ll integrate your social media into a beautiful “wow” website that keeps prospects and clients coming back for more.